Thursday, June 3, 2010

Alyssa is 11!

Happy Birthday to my oldest girl!

2010

We have been hearing about this day for weeks. The planning, the invitations, and the theme, Harry Potter!!!

I don’t remember getting this involved with my birthdays as a kid. Most birthdays in my family were celebrated with Grandma and Grandpa coming over for cake and ice cream. Sometimes for an extra special birthday (8, 12, 16) we could invite friends over for a party. Now that I think about it, with 11 kids, my mother would have been planning a party all the time!

Today we went overboard. As I looked through past pictures I noticed that I have not made Alyssa’s cake for a few years. How can that be? I am a cake pro (or semi pro). Our big birthday thing has always been the cake! This year I had to do her cake. As I mentioned before, her theme was Harry Potter. Alyssa loves everything Harry Potter. She has all of the books, which I graciously passed down to her, she has seen all of the movies, and she dreams of getting her letter to Hogwarts.

So I started putting all of her planning together yesterday. It all started with the cake.

June 3, 2010 003

The Hogwarts Castle

I was very excited to do this cake for her, and she and her friends were very excited to eat it. Of course following a Harry Potter theme, there was so much more we could do. How about a Great Feast with all your favorite Harry Potter goodies.

June 3, 2010 001

Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans, Grasshopper Cookies, Jelly Worms, Mini Wands and Cockroach Clusters.

June 3, 2010 002

Throw in some butterbear, (cream soda) and mix up a potion (ice cream sundays)

Can you say sugar high!!!

10 girls were running around the house screaming, yelling, playing, and making as much noise as possible. I did get them somewhat settled down for a group shot.

June 3, 2010 020

All in all, I think it was a fun birthday for her. (She said best party ever!)

Success!!

Thank goodness the next birthday is a few months away. I am partied out.

Happy Birthday Alyssa!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world!! I have been doing it for 2 years and tried telling you it wasn't that difficult. I am glad you finally tried it for your self. Now you will have to check out the rest of the family blogs. I had never heard about your journey/move to Alaska since I was in the mission and not getting letters from anyone except Mom. She told me you moved and that was all I knew. Also, congrats to Connor for his bike riding skills. Happy birthday to Alyssa, how does she feel about sharing a birthday with a cousin in Idaho?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She already shares a birthday on the Burnside side, so now we have more reason to celebrate each year. It is really funny that each of my kids share a birthday with someone.

    ReplyDelete