Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father’s Day

Once a year we get the chance to stop and think about all the great men in our lives.   Father’s Day is not about the great gifts we can give, but the great gift we have in our fathers. 

I have a wonderful father who taught me the value of hard work. I had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with my dad.  When I was about 3 or 4 years old he would take me out to the fields with him.  I would ride beside him on the tractor, I would carry siphon tubes, I would drive the truck while he threw hay out the back for the cows.  I also would stand at the end of the irrigation pipe in the tall wheat to make it easier for Dad to find the end of the pipe.  I remember having to wave my hands in the air because I was not tall enough to be seen over the stalks of wheat.   All through my childhood I belonged outside with my dad.  

As I grew I was given more responsibility on the farm.  I felt so good, as a teenager, when Dad could tell me the job he needed done and he knew I would do it.  I loved running the heavy machinery, and proving that I was capable of any big  job.  My dad was my hero and I loved working alongside him.

I have a great father-in-law, who has taught me the love of running.  I am amazed at the goals he has set and accomplished.  He is over 70 years old and has run the Boston Marathon a couple times in the last few years.  He has encouraged me in training and entering a couple of races, and I am honored to follow his example.   I am so blesses to have these fathers in my life to help and encourage me. 

Now I spend time alongside another great man, my husband.  I am married to a wonderful man; the father of my children, the fixer of all things technical, the auto mechanic, the problem solver.  Over the past couple of years Chad has made it a personal challenge to be able to fix broken cars, broken dryers, and see to other home maintenance problems.  Knowing that this is not something he had ever wanted to do, and had not learned, how I am awed by all he does for his family.  My children have an example of a hard working father who encourages them to work by his side.   He is the love of my life, and my best friend.  Thank you Chad,  Happy Father’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment