Saturday, December 18, 2010

A sweet treat

Today I had another cake order.  I don’t do many of these because I have a ridiculously tiny kitchen and I end up taking up the whole thing when I do a cake.   This means everyone had better not want anything from the kitchen until I am done. 

I started this cake last night and was really excited to see it coming together.  It was for a 12 year old girls birthday and I was told she did not want anything classic or cutesy, but something with lots of colors and shapes.  

 P1030743

I started with the candles.  They were the most fun to make, large pretzel sticks cut in half and dipped in white chocolate.   I rolled out yellow starburst candies to cut the flames, then attached them with more melted chocolate.  The effect was that it looked like melted candle wax dripping down the candle.   I made a batch of marshmallow fondant to cover the cake and Alyssa helped me cut stripes and polka dots to decorate the candles.

P1030744

I had enough cake batter left to make a cupcake that I wrapped in fondant for the cake top.  Once the cake was all assembled I attached the candles with more melted chocolate, and sprinkled chocolate shavings as confetti all over the cake. 

   P1030741 

I was pretty happy with the way it all turned out, and I hope that sweet girl had a great birthday party.   Even though it took a lot of time, and caused my kitchen to explode, I loved making this cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment