Friday, September 17, 2010

Shocked!

The week is once again passing in a blur as my days are filling with kids, school, house cleaning, and all the usual running around.  It almost seems like any other week.  There are just a couple of details that have thrown off my rhythm and turned me into a zombie for the first part of the week.  Now the shock has worn off and I can begin to face the future.

The first detail is really more of a relief.  Chad works for a company who has a contract with the Coast Guard.  This fall the contract with the Coast Guard was again up for bids.  It is a 5 year contract so we have been through this once before with no problems.  This year however was a little different.  Last time the contract was signed the first part of August, almost as soon as bidding opened.  The current contract expires the end of September and until  this week had not been signed.  That meant that we have faced the uncertainty of not knowing if Chad would have a job come the end of September.  He had actually received a termination notice the first of the month as a precaution to not having a contract.  If there was no contract in place by September 30 Chad would be out of a job.  Can you say “a Little Worrying”?  We received word Monday morning with 2 and 1/2 weeks remaining of job certainty that the contract had been signed and jobs are secure for another 5 years.  Hooray!!!  Cause for Celebration and time to breath a little easier.  I had already been monitoring the food storage situation, which was not as good and I would have liked.  We could live for a while on bread, rice, and beans, but things were not looking so good for the fruits, vegetables, meat, and dairy.

Detail number 2 is a little more responsible for the blur of the week.  The weekend had already been a bit hectic (check out why) and it didn’t help when we got a call Saturday night to come and meet with the Stake Presidency.  The Stake Presidency is the regional leadership in our church.  Being on an island the Stake Presidency doesn’t come very often, so meeting with the whole presidency means something.   Sunday Chad was sustained as the first councilor in the bishopric, our local leadership.   We have been in this position before, Chad served in a previous bishopric for 4 years right after we moved to Kodiak.   So, Sunday after church I pretty much crashed on the coach with an upset stomach.  It is terrible that my first thought was how this would effect me.  I wonder what would it be like to hide in our ward, to have small callings where we could go unnoticed?  We have never had that here.  We have a very small congregation, no one gets to hide.  He will do a great job, and I know that the Lord has called him to help the people in the Kodiak Ward.  I am thankful I have a wonderful husband who is worthy of this call, and who does his best in any calling.  It will be hard to remember that when I am sitting on the pew wrestling 4 kids to be quiet and listen.  Thank goodness this time I have two older ones to set an example for the younger ones, I hope.   

I do really have a wonderful husband thought.  He took the morning off work on Monday to get the kids going and get breakfast until I was feeling better.   Thank you Chad, for your help this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment